Friday, 13 April 2012

Madeleines

.............This post has been updates with new pictures on May 2014.....................................

A while ago, I have posted my trusted  recipe for madeleines but I have used other molds and presented it differently.

Today, I’m posting a proper Madeleine with different toppings. I involved my nephew and asked him to watch the oven for the magic moment when the Madeleine will make a belly/bump. Which is why you will see further down that it's all about playing with the temperature.

Picture updated on May 2014 because madeleines baked in a metallic pan with a proper depth look better and the silicone baked madeleines didn't give credit to this nice recipe

He was amazed! He also proposed to assist me in decorating them. I’m sure he was after the chocolate left in the bowl.

My nephew is a shy boy, that's why I've hidden his face! He doesn't want to become famous :)

Ingredients
For 18 big- madeleines
Preparation : 10 min- Fridge time: 2 hours min -Baking time : 10-15 min


- 100g of salted butter
- 2 eggs
- 80g caster sugar
- 100 g all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1tbsp of lemon zest or 1tbsp of orange blossom water
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- Melted chocolate, crushed hazelnuts, candies, dry cherries… for decorating.

Madeleines baked in the silicone pan with my nephew, years back

Update: Madeleines baked recently (May 2014th) in my London's flat

Preparation

Melt the butter on low heat until it reaches a hazelnut colour. Sift and let cool for 5 min.

Beat the eggs with sugar and honey in a bowl (you don't have to beat vigorously). Then add the zest or orange blossom water.

Fold in the sifted flour with baking powder. Stir.

Add melted butter and mix well.

Cover the batter and let sit in the fridge minimum 2 hours to overnight. This step is important, because I can confirm it’s the only way to get the authentic and so famous bump/belly that comes in a madeleine. Apparently, the shock created between cold and hot will give that effect.

Fill 2/3 of madeleine molds with the batter (grease the molds if you are not using silicone).

Photo update on May 2014

Sophie Dudemaine proposes to bake in preheated oven at 240 C for about 4 min then bring it down to 200 for the remaining time. I think this way, you get flat corners with a huge bump. That's what I've noticed in her book about madeleines. 

Update on May 2014, I followed Lenotre's directions to bake at 200 degrees C all the way for 12 min and it worked as well (see below)



I have different pans and as you can see, the silicone version seems to be deeper, which make the madeleines look different than what they should be..


Notes:

Check here for other ideas on how to use the same batter to prepare nice sweets.

I have baked my 2nd batch of madeleine at 140 C for about 20 min, I didn't get the bump. I wanted a flat top to coat. This is why you see the coated ones without that.




2 comments:

  1. Love madeleines - I don't have them as often as I'd like - yours look really cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love madeleines too..besides, they're easy to make...I'm thinking to buy that silicone sheet to make mini-madeleines instead of these giant ones. It's more practical..

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...